Sunday, November 24, 2013

Bird by Bird Translated to Photography


I've added a new book to my ever growing list of ebook downloads. It is  Ann Lamott's book, Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life.  I discovered the book through my weekly newsletter from Brainpickings. Quite often I find that reading about any kind of creativity, but especially about writing, gets translated in my brain to my pursuit of photography. For example, Lamott writes and I take the audacity to translate it for photography because it so clearly says what photography brings to me:

One of the gifts of being a writer (a photographer) is that it gives you an excuse to do things, to go places and explore. Another is that writing (photographing) motivates you to look closely at life, at life as it lurches by and tramps around.

Most of the other quotes by Lamott in the Brainpickings article get translated in my head to what it is like to continue to be a photographer, how to find your way even if the world isn't beating a path to your door and how to be able to find the nourishment you need in the on-going practice of photography.

The name of Lamott's book comes from an incident with her young brother who waited until the last minute to write a report about birds for school. He was overwhelmed with the task ahead of him when his Father gave him a hug and assured him it would be okay. He just had to write it down bird by bird.

Writers write a story sentence by sentence. Photographers photograph a project photograph by photograph. The photograph above is just one photograph from the Port Aransas project.

4 comments:

  1. It is one of my favorite books. Especially, the house keys story.

    I recently came to the same conclusion. Almost any commentary on artistic pursuits can be applied to another artistic pursuit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't gotten to the house keys story yet. It really encourages me when I read about how others persue creativity. And what is funny is that I often come upon a book like this when I am at some crossroads and need that Whack on the Side of the Head.

      Delete
  2. The beauty of it is, photographers see things through different lenses than the rest of us. It's a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice thing to say. Thank you, Gin. I do think it is a blessing to see through photography because I see things that I think I would pass by otherwise.

      Delete