Monday, August 1, 2016

Weekend Getaway

 
Me:   I'd like to go see this Annie Leibovitz exhibition in Mexico City. You interested?
My Friends: You bet. Let's go!
 
And so 12 days later we were in Casa Gonzalez which is just a couple of blocks from the US Embassy and the Paseo de la Reforma in the heart of Mexico City. It had been about 25 years since I had stayed in the Casa Gonzalez guest house so it was such a treat to go back and see how it had changed. There are more rooms, wifi, better, much better mattresses, more gardens and outdoor tables and chairs but still the same charm and intimacy. The breakfast is fabulous although now you pay for it separately, the cost is quite reasonable. In fact the cost per night is more than 25 years ago but still unbelievable reasonable.
 
We dumped our luggage and went off to find something to eat but finding something to eat in the area around Casa Gonzalez is not difficult. There must be at least three restaurants in every block. Everything from a taco stand to an elegant restaurant.
 
In addition to the Annie Leibovitz exhibition we had made reservations for the Jessica Lang Dance Performance at Palacio de Bellas Artes on Friday night. We had great seats in about the third row center. The production was beautiful and the performance was amazing. Lithe, beautiful bodies that seemed to hang in the air or carry another person across the stage as if they were light as a feather.
 
Saturday morning we walked across the Reforma and into the Colonia Juarez to the building housing Leibovitz's exhibition, Women: New Portraits. The exhibition wasn't hung on the wall but was more of an installation on big banks of LCD screens showing one portrait at a time. This reminded me of a recent talk with a Gallery Owner who told me that she expected to see more and more photographs shown as an installation. Hard for me to believe because I still want to see a print but maybe that is just my age showing.
 
A nice comida and then back to Casa Gonzalez just before the afternoon rain.
 
I always want to try new restaurants and this time we headed out in the rain and back across Reforma to Havre 77 that has been open for about six months. The food was delicious and we got to talk to the chef-in-charge Gerado Ramos who previously worked here in San Miguel.
 
The next morning after another wonderful breakfast we were in the van and headed back to San Miguel. It seems like I always leave Mexico City before I'm ready to leave. So I'll go back again soon, even if only for a quick weekend getaway.  

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE Mexico City and would be happy to be included in any trip that you make, if you want company. That city was the reason that I moved to Mexico, although it took me 26 years to get here full time! So glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, it is an amazing city. I'm really glad that we stayed at Casa Gonzalez because I had been staying at the Red Tree House in Condesa. I love that B&B and the Condesa area but this trip reminded that there are a lot of other wonderful neighborhoods to explore. And one of the good things about Casa Gonzalez is that if you are a walker you can walk from there to the Bellas Artes and enjoy Alameda Parque for much of the way. As long as you have walked that far, the Zocalo isn't much further. Besides the traffic can be so bad you can almost walk faster than the taxi.

      Delete
  2. Well, damn. We've stayed at Casa Gonzales and really like the place. And well, double-damn, would have loved to come along if you'd invited us! Never been to the Palacio de Bellas Artes' auditorium. Next time. We've been to DF many times but seem to get marooned in the same neighborhoods and would like to explore different parts of the city. Do you have Uber on your smart phone? We used it to summon cabs the last time we were there, and the service is amazing.

    al

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I would have asked you. I'll be sure to do that next time but you might have short notice. I use Uber in the States so I just checked out a trip from Casa Gonzalez to Bella's Artes. Not bad and there were several cabs close by. I'll use them next time

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing, I always enjoy hearing of your adventures! Teri in CR

    ReplyDelete