Monday, May 2, 2016

Construction Zone



I'm in Port Aransas and since I was last here in October it seems like construction has doubled. The first thing I noticed is that across the street from my hotel has been paved. The construction sign says that soon there will be 100 RV parking places. Last October it looked like it was part of the salt marsh. Maybe a bit higher than the land around it but not much.

As I have driven around Mustang Island I'm really shocked at all of the home construction. The picture above is a development of beautiful houses. They must be building at least 10 more with construction trucks parked on both sides of a new street. Just like you would see in any subdivision that is going up.  Most of the houses you can see in the distance are occupied with lovely landscaping and window treatments already in place. People are living there.

This isn't the only change that is happening but the thing that really hit me today is how fast the Island is changing. I am really glad that I started photographing for the book I'm working on in conjunction with the Mercer Logs some time ago. It is going to be harder and harder to find landscapes and things that connect me with excerpts from the logs.

I know I'll sound like an old Fogey because I hate seeing these changes but the lyrics from Big Yellow Taxi came to mind.

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got til its gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

4 comments:

  1. Oh dear......nothing stays the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have friends I met here from there and they still have an art gallery there (Felders). They lived here in Costa Rica and settled in Florida, where I am from. Funny, I moved here to get away from all the tourist in Florida and now they come HERE! I have not been back in over 10 years, doubt I would recognize my old haunts now.
    "Put up a parking lot", Teri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Came across this bookmark today:
    https://issuu.com/bmercer/docs/eastwood-3
    Time sure passes quickly, Teri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teri, time does pass quickly. It is hard for me to believe that my husband died four years ago today.

      Delete