Wednesday, July 24, 2013

A Tasting Dinner


I joined friends and supporters for Feed The Hungry for a tasting dinner in the Moxi Restaurant at the Hotel Matilda. It is the first time I have been in the hotel since it was the Jacaranda. What a change. Very sleek and contemporary but still it felt like a comfortable space. Beautiful lighting and sparkling table settings. It was a lovely elegant evening.

I assume that Enrique Olvera the Chef and Owner of Pujol in Mexico City is still associated with Moxi/Matilda. The current Chef in residence is Alejandro Cuatepotzo.

There were six courses but I'm just showing you four of them. Clockwise from top left:

Tomato and Lettuce Salad from Purisima de Jalpa, worm salt.
 
Mixed vegetables and goat cheese wrapped in corn husks, grasshopper salsa.
 
Octopus "Veracruzana" style, Mexican salsa, olive sauce, coriander pesto.
 
Baby goat from "El Capricho" braised in agave paper, mashed mayflower beans, spiced rub.
 
I have to tell you that I'm finding some of that worm salt. We wondered if it was a typo for warm or if it really could be made from worms. Whatever it was we like the taste so I looked it up when I got home and sure enough it was "worm salt."  
 
I hear that Moxi has a very good Sunday Brunch. I'd like to try it.
 
Good food from taco stands to places like Moxi. Just finishing up a Film Festival and the Chamber Music Festival is about to start. This town is amazing.

1 comment: