Monday, July 8, 2013

Pickles

This post isn't just about pickles. It is about living in San Miguel.

But I will tell you about the pickles because they made me very happy today. Eleven years ago I couldn't find a pickle in any store in this town and if I went to Costco in Celaya or Queretaro I could find one gallon jars of sliced dill pickles but that was it. I used to bring pickles back to San Miguel when we drove back from Texas. Actually I brought back sacks and sacks of grocery items that I couldn't find around here. Here is what I wrote back in 2007 on Billieblog about bringing groceries down from Texas.

I have used up my stash of pickles and when I went into Bonanza today I found pickles. Pickle relish, Sweet Gherkins, Dill and Bread and Butter Chips in regular household sizes. They were a little pricey but since I'm not driving back and forth anymore and I want pickles and I don't want to can my own pickles, I'll just have to pay the price.

When I look back at the things I listed on the Grocery List in the link above, I realized that I can find most of those things here now or I've found some substitute. Feeling like I can cook American or Mexican with the products I can find in a store is a nice feeling.

But living in San Miguel is more than just being able to cook anything I want.

Today I was talking with my financial advisor who has vacationed in San Miguel. He was asking if I still felt safe. I told him that not only do I feel safe but I find that my life is very rich and rewarding. I told him about some of the cultural things going on here. If you don't read Babsblog, click on her post about all the things that are going on here in the next few weeks.

Besides the cultural events, I have lunch or dinner with friends several times a week. I'm in a drawing group and I'm about to start a drawing class. I'm learning to play Mah Jongg. I go to Yoga and to a cardio/weight class a couple of times a week. I'm working with a personal trainer one day a week as well as doing some cardio walking three or four days a week. I'm in an investment/social club. I have my photography and I meet up  with some other photographers about once a month just to talk about what we are doing. Yes, my life is full of activities but most of all is the blessing of having so many friends here.

When I try to think about going back to Houston I can imagine buying a high-rise condo and getting it furnished. I think about seeing my Houston friends and family more often but then my imagination runs out. What after that? Could I find things to replace the activities in San Miguel? And if I did, could I afford them? Would it be as easy to keep meeting new people and making new friends? I don't think so.

And so, with each day that passes, I become more sure of my decision to stay in San Miguel. Although I do realize that there are things that could change that decision, they are just too terrible for me to worry about. I'll just stay in the moment and keep on being excited about pickles showing up on the grocery shelves. Now if Bonanza could just get in refrigerated horseradish.....that would be another red letter day.

13 comments:

  1. STILL have tons of lemons! I loved reading your list from 2007. I used to bring bags and bags.
    I still miss Cheetos.......and still bring Community coffee from Texas along with sugar free, fat free puddings. Can't think of much else. I find I just forget about things until I'm up there and then realize all we don't even need anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What matters hugely to me when I think of being in San Miguel vs. a U.S. city is that San Miguel is a city for walking. I love that. I've lived many places in the U.S. and visited many more, and can't think of one place I've been where I wouldn't have needed (or wished I had) a car. I don't want or need a car in San Miguel (in Mexico at all).

    I experience so much more of life when I walk as I do in San Miguel. I taxi once in awhile - to Tuesday market or home from Bonanza if my bags are heavy. Otherwise I am out, involved, saying "Hola" all along the way, a part of it. And as we know all that walking does us good, we sleep better at night, and on and on.

    I agree with your thoughts about Houston and a high-rise. What after that, indeed.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, you are so right. I should have included the walking as a part of the reason why I'm staying here. It does give me a "connectedness" to the world that I would not have in Houston.

      Delete
  3. I have had some similar experiences living in Central America. Six years ago, I had trouble finding things like Cajun seasoning, pickles, American style cream and cheeses, etc. In the past two years, the local stores have more and more things, and the prices are often reasonable. By the way, I painted my toenails this weekend. They are a nice teal green. I thought of you. I like them, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being able to buy the things we are use to is nice but you know something I didn't mention is what strides telecommunications have made. Internet, Vonage, Skype....All of those things make me feel like I can stay in touch with family and friends any time I want to. That definitely makes it easier to live in San Miguel or most anywhere in the world.

      Teal green........Mmmm, might have to look at that color next.

      Delete
  4. San Miguel's cultural life is very tempting to me. But Melaque does allow me to take a short walk and spend time at the beach. That is hard to beat.

    OK. String quartets beat it. But I was looking for a reason to justify why I am in Melaque this summer, instead of in San Miguel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Billie,

    This struck a chord for me, too. Mazatlan has so many activities and we have so many friends I can't imagine going back to the car centered isolation NOB. Plus most of my cravings for things that aren't available here have gone away over the years.

    My favorite toenail color these days in black. Goes with everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black toenails? Well it does go with everything and it is good all year round. You go girl!

      I agree. Over time I have adjusted but when I go back to Houston, there are some guilty pleasures.

      Delete
  6. Billie...I agree with the comments about walking in SMA...I can't wait to get back to our daily walks to and from centro and other places as well...and the bit about friends....so true! We now have more friends in SMA than at 'home' in Chicago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same with me. More friends here than in Houston. But when I'm here I do miss the Houston bunch.

      Delete
  7. I, too, live in Mexico but near Chetumal in southern Quintana Roo. I am so envious as I read about all of the activities available in SMA and realize that they are directly related to the number of expats that have been settled there for so many years. Our expat population is very small and we have very little going on. As I try to imagine giving up my water-full life in QRoo for the opportunities in SMA, I just can't do it. Kathe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathe I think some of our cultural activities also has to do with how close we are to Mexico City and Guanajuato. We get a lot of Mexican tourist on the weekends. Of course some of them are definitely started by the gringos.

    ReplyDelete