Sunday, May 24, 2020

Testing a Concept


Sometimes you see something that really catches your artist eye. While in Mexico City I saw some artist books made by Patricia LaGarde, a Mexican photographer. One in particular fascinated me. It was a structured book with cuts and folds within the pages. I liked the way the cuts and folds changed the feeling of the book. When I returned home I started cutting up copy paper and printing small images and folding the paper and images and then I let them sit on my work table for a week or so until another idea came to mind and another round of calculating sizes, cutting and pasting and looking would ensue but always looking for how the light worked with the new version.

While working on it, I realized that I wanted a book that could sit on a book-shelf lined up with other books or it could sit opened up as you see it here, a three-dimensional object sitting on a mantel or table. I am really liking the way the light reflects off of the folded pages and also through the light tunnel made by the projecting images. I like the way the shadows change on each side of the folded image. This concept is kind of a cross between an accordion book and a pop-up book. Unfortunately it is missing the covers. The book board is cut but the bookcloth I ordered did not arrive before I left Mexico. The concept works and maybe it will be the beginning of more variations.

6 comments:

  1. That sounds fascinating. I would like to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. Lovely......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed the light coming from behind the photos. They must have a light source hidden in there, something which may be a problem for you, I guess you could use battery powered light strings with "wheat grain" LED bulbs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this Billie. Maybe you can show me how to do this some day-very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Herbal Supplement for Emphysema is helpful in clearing the air passages in the lungs. Herbal Supplement is to provide relief of symptoms and prevent complications.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The kidneys are essential organs for the body’s overall wellbeing. They perform vital functions such as filtering waste from the bloodstream, regulating electrolyte balance, and maintaining a healthy acid-base balance in the blood. When these functions are disrupted due to disease or trauma, it can lead to serious complications for your health. Fortunately, there are a number of Best Supplements for Kidney Disease that can help support optimal kidney function.
    Supplementation can be an effective way to maintain proper kidney function. It can help to reduce inflammation in the kidneys and promote healthy cell regeneration. Supplements also provide vital nutrients that are necessary for kidney health

    ReplyDelete