Thursday, April 9, 2020

Wearing a Mask


I left San Miguel four weeks ago and I never thought I would be wearing a mask four weeks later but a lot of things have happened in those four weeks that are beyond anything I could have imagined. Looking back, how naive I was.

I understood that the coronavirus was going to affect many people and that medical systems would be  stressed but I thought that the United States could handle the virus better than Mexico. So I could go to Houston, get an apartment for six months. The complex where Ned and I had lived for two years was next door to an HEB, Krogers and Walgreens were across the street. When I arrived I was renting a car for a week to gather up what I needed for an apartment and then I wouldn't need a car. I could walk and if I wanted to go somewhere too far to walk, I'd get an Uber. Within about one day after arriving in Houston it dawned on me that "staying in place," or isolation, or quarantine, or whatever you want to call it was happening NOW. There was no time to settle-in. There was no time to see most of my family. So, I look forward to talking with them and long to hug them.

Services like Instacart, Curbside pickup, Whole Foods, Krogers, and HEB delivery all sound great but the demand is so huge that the delivery times are out about 10 days and they are so overloaded that the 20 items you ordered may be down to 10 items available when they are delivered. Although if I walk to the grocery store I can find the things I ordered except for cleaning supplies, toilet paper and paper towels.  Toilet paper can sometimes be found but I have not seen paper towels since the day after I arrived. Thank God, there is no shortage of food.

Naive? Yes! A few months in Houston. The emergency would be over. I'd go home but everyday brings more knowledge about this disease. To get it fully under control, we need a vaccine and that is probably 18 months down the road.

Although this is a rather stylish one that a friend brought to me, I hope that wearing a mask doesn't become the new normal.

11 comments:

  1. VERY classy. Hopefully it has a filter inside that can be taken out and laundered!!! But, I do love it.
    Since Kimberley Clark has a HUGE factory in San Juan del Rio that was built in the 1970's, we have had no shortage on paper products, ojala. Actually, surprisingly, no shortage of anything that I am aware of, yet. I'm going to get in the car soon and ride around to see all the vacant places in SMA. I'll take some photos. Take care Billie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, It doesn't have a pocket for a filter but it is better than a bandana or nothing. Besides, if I have to wear a mask I like this one.

      Delete
  2. I made just the opposite decision. I left Oregon to return home to Mexico because I thought it would be better to ride it out here. And it has been. Once the northerners left, a sense of tranquility set in. (Something that does appear to have happened in your Mexican home town.)

    I primarily stay at home. But I do get out to purchase groceries -- and to exercise. I remain unmasked.

    I wish you well in Houston. May you you find peace at the center.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, I'm not sure I would be doing anything differently in San Miguel than I'm doing here and I do feel at peace here.

      Delete
    2. Feeling at peace is the most important factor. And I am glad you have found it.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you are maybe wishing you'd stayed in San Miguel? I hope things get sorted out before too long so that it's easier to get in supplies. Take care Billie. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, some days I do miss San Miguel but I missing San Miguel pre-coronavirus when I could meet up with friends and be out on the street. That would not be the case if I were there now. It would be very much the same as here. As I told Steve, I am at peace here for the time being. Who knows what the next six to nine months will bring. Be safe and wash your hands. lol

      Delete
  4. Gosh, I wrote a comment on the day you wrote this post. I wonder what happened to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Billie, Good to see you even with a mask on. Your apartment looks so clean and minimalistic. Steve Jobs would have loved it! You are right. We are all pretty much living the same life indoors. What is nice for me is more people are writing to ask how I am and old friends have found me via social media. Let's hope this abomination passes swiftly but I'm not so sure anymore. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, I'm with you, afraid that we will be living with this abomination/beast for a long time. I'm well into the vulernable "third age" and I am worried about being in lock down until a vaccine is found.

      Delete