Monday, January 20, 2014

I Feel Like I'm in Mexico


One of the things that I love, love, love about Mexico is eating in Patio restaurants. The first time we came to San Miguel in the 1980's we ate at two patio restaurants. Those two restaurants could have been what sold me on San Miguel.

The first was Bugambilia's which use to be on every tourist list of "Must Go To" restaurants. At that time it was on Hidalgo in a beautiful old patio. The food was good, the service was attentive and the lights were low. It was so romantic.

We stayed at the Sierra Nevada Hotel and they had a lovely patio. We had lunch there one day with our friends Pat and Tom. We ordered enchiladas and they served them on eight inch plates with straight one-inch- high sides with handles. Pat and I fell in love with the plates. The enchiladas were good but the plates were added to our shopping list. We found where they were sold in San Miguel and each bought six. We would have bought more but that was the total stock. Those "enchilada" plates were the first of my Gorky Gonzales collection of pottery.


The pictures in this blog entry were made last week in Casa Del Diezmo Restaurant at Jesus #36. It is another great patio. It is large and full of plants, hummingbird feeders, sculpture and little bubbling fountains. There is a long portico along one side. The food is Yucatecan and quite good. I had lunch there and I could have stayed all afternoon because I really felt like I was in "my" Mexico.

7 comments:

  1. Lovely photographs. I haven't eaten there since it changed owners... Forget about it. Need to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should go one day. The food is good and the garden seems even better than it was under the previous restaurant owner.

      Delete
    2. My sister and I took our dad and his wife there last summer. The setting is gorgeous, the service great, but sadly, the food was only so-so.

      Delete
  2. I think it's the connection to nature. Everything "tastes" better… What a great composition in that first photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andean, thank you. You are right about the connection to nature in Diezmo. There is a cluster of tables almost hidden away back in the garden. It had a wonderful jungle feeling. And the food did taste good!

      Delete
  3. Everything about that first photograph is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, blushing. I liked the image but didn't think it would garner me such nice compliments.

      Delete