Friday, January 10, 2014

Dressed to the Nines

 The phrase Dressed to the Nines developed as an extension of the much earlier phrase to the nines, meaning  'to perfection, to the greatest degree'.  Maybe  I should have titled this blog, Dress for the Ca-Nines because it is about Mexicans dressing their dogs in doggie clothes.

When I go into PetSmart in Houston I'm not surprised when I see an aisle filled with doggie clothes but I just wasn't expecting it when I was at the huge sidewalk market for Three King's Day. There was one whole stall with a few dog beds and crates but most of it was filled with doggie clothes. And they were much more creative than the doggie clothes I see at Pet Smart. I had to push my way into the crowd around the stall to be able to take even one photograph. The Mexicans were buying gifts for The Three Kings to leave for their dogs.

Since January 6, I've seen some of the new wardrobes on the dogs. After exercise class yesterday I wish I would have had my camera because there were two little dogs out for a walk with their owner. One was dressed in a zebra striped vest and the other had on a flowered print dress with a tiny little ruffled skirt. They seemed to be very happy in their new finery as they pranced around in the Jardin and they certainly made me giggle. Don't ask me what the owner was wearing. The doggies stole the show.

I think Carly is kind of embarrassed. All she has is a plain old red vest with a velvet collar that I sometimes put on her if it is really cold when we go out for a walk. I think she would like a white dress with a flirty little ruffle.

6 comments:

  1. Last fall, I was thrilled to find a cute magenta argyle sweater in a size that would fit precious Morgen the Doberman. Bought it, took it home, put it on her, she hated it, took her photo, and returned the sweater to Maskota. I did not have the heart to tell her "Look, I make the money around here, I buy the clothes, and you'll wear what pleases me today."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting that Morgen didn't like it. Maybe it wasn't her color. The Mexican dogs I see wearing their costumes seem rather frisky in them. Like Mexican children, I think they are brought up from puppyhood wearing costumes.
      I've always marveled at how much the Mexicans love to get dressed for festivals. Not so much in the USA although that is changing too. Crazy hats, costumes and body paint for sporting events and goofy stuff for holidays like St. Patricks. I'm glad we are learning how to have fun from our Mexican neighbors.

      Delete
  2. Many years ago, in a country far away, I took Jiggs into PetSmart. It was Halloween time and the dog costumes had just arrived. Because I enjoyed humiliating my poor dog, I put a conical princess hat on his head. You now the type. With the scarf flowing from the pointed end. Several customers commented how cute she looked. That night I was thankful he did not have an opposable thumb. Because he knew where the pistol was stored.

    You do know, of course, that we are setting ourselves up to be the next Richard Lander gang.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, I hope Richard Lander doesn't see this blog!

      Delete
  3. Just wait. Someday they'll be holding Quinciañearas for their female dogs. In dog years, of course.

    Saludos,

    Kim G
    Boston, MA
    Where we wonder how many dogs in Houston could survive being dressed without collapsing from heat stroke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe making dog clothes for Quincianearas could become a profitable business for me. LOL

      Delete