Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Carry Your Umbrella


Yesterday when I left my drawing class, the clouds were low overhead. Out on the sidewalk a few big drops were splashing down. By the time I was at the Jardin, it was a rain storm. I ducked under the portico along with the balloon and toy sellers and everyone else who had been in the plaza enjoying the late afternoon.

All I had was my iPhone but I pulled it out and made a few pictures of the torrents of rain. I saw these four brave women starting across the street and I made several shots of them. I like this one best because they were separated and their shadows added to the shot. I also like the special light that sometimes happens during a rain storm. When I looked at the image later I saw the boy just sitting in the rain over on the far right. That made me laugh. He could have come over to the portico and been out of the rain but no, he preferred to sit in the rain. I thought that the picture was pretty noisy but when I viewed it in Lightroom, it isn't digital noise. It is the torrential rain.

It was beautiful when I left for my class and I didn't carry my umbrella. This time of the year this is a reminder that I should always carry my umbrella.

6 comments:

  1. Great shot! Love the little boy too.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little boys are the same everywhere. Mine would have sat in the rain and loved it.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful, moody picture, Billie. I noticed that there was rain, last night in SMA when I looked at the live video feed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul, I'm glad to hear that you are staying "in touch" with SMA. It reassures me that you will be back. We had this rainstorm about 5 PM and then about 8:30 it poured again. It was a while before I could take Miz Carly out for her evening walk.

      I love the light when it rains. Especially a summer rain that comes and goes in the late afternoon or at night when lots of lights are reflected in the wet streets. I really need to figure out some gear so I can go do it. Just glad I had the iPhone with me yesterday afternoon and that I was under the portico.

      Delete
  3. Great shot. Don't you love it when your subjects get in an almost painter-like position for composition?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do love it and I'm always so happy when I've been watching what is happening and I'm ready for the shot.

      Delete